Monday, July 4, 2011

What inspired you to ride?


by Chris Carrier
 My first bike was a Christmas gift when I was about 10 years old.  It was a retro cool turquoise color, with a white basket, decorated with plastic flowers, on the front handlebars. It was 1971 and I had wanted a Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat, but any bike was a welcome taste of freedom for a 10-year-old kid.  I named her Arabella, and she took me all over my small Illinois town. 
 My first real road bike brings back all that 10-year-old energy.  What a treat it is to hop on a feel like I’m flying!  She is so light and responsive; I am in delight as I ride!   My future changed the moment I decided to buy her, and just like my first, this bike has been named.  Welcome Laavonder !  The pronunciation comes from the movie, A Good Year, with Russell Crowe.  In the movie, the French housekeeper keeps lavender sprigs in the windowsills to keep the scorpions out.  She pronounces it as Laaa VON Derrr, which is how you’ll hear me call my bike.
My reintroduction to riding for fun is a great gift to me.  Having an activity that I share with my friends, that is all about being outside and enjoying playtime has become a new part of my self-definition. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt any real “fires in the belly” that is not indigestion!  I am excited about every ride we do and I love that we are all riding as a group.  The 10 year old kid in me loves the breeze on my face as I pedal my bike and the 51 year old woman loves the shared experiences, friendship and the possibility of adventures ahead!

Tell us about your inspitration.

No comments:

Post a Comment